Joe's transactional real estate and corporate experience spans over 25 years from his prior career as a real estate and corporate banker throughout his legal career. Joe represents a variety of clients, including real estate developers, financial institutions, private equity firms, high net worth individuals, hotel companies, and public and private universities in all phases of complex commercial real estate and business transactions. His experience includes acquisitions, development, financing, leasing, joint ventures, and advising clients in connection with raising capital for real estate projects in the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean. Joe is also an agent for several national title insurance companies and has handled the resolution of complex title insurance issues involving real property in the United States, Latin America and the Caribbean.
Joe represents banks and other lending institutions in secured corporate loan transactions, including revolving credit facilities, asset-based lending, and other secured lending facilities.
Joe has extensive experience in advising clients in the resolution of business disputes, including disputes amongst partners, shareholders or members.
Prior to joining the firm, Joe served as General Counsel for an asset management firm owned by a large private equity firm which managed several luxury high-rise condominium projects. In that capacity, Joe served as director for various condominium associations and has extensive experience representing condominium developers and condominium associations. Prior to that, Joe was the head of the real estate practice group at the Miami office of Hogan Lovells and was also a partner in the real estate practice group at Greenberg Traurig in Miami.
Joe is active in the community and was formerly the Chairman of the Board of Junior Achievement of Greater Miami and now serves as a board member. He is also a member of the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce and the United Way's Young Leaders Society. In addition, Joe is an adjunct professor at the University of Miami School of Law and teaches a course in real estate finance in the Real Property Development L.L.M Program.
- Represented a lender in its $1 billion senior mortgage participation and mezzanine loan to a nursing home and health care facilities company.
- Represented a large hotel company in the refinancing of $300 million in mortgage financing for a large resort hotel in Orlando, Florida.
- Represented a public university in analyzing real estate issues in connection with the donation of a large tract of land located in Puerto Rico to the university for conservation purposes.
- Represented a large commercial bank in $110 million corporate and real estate financing to a large commercial grower of foliage and bedding plants involving over 2,600 acres of real property throughout several states.
- Represented Florida East Coast Industries in real estate aspects of $270 million acquisition of Codina Group, Inc., the largest industrial developer in South Florida, and acquisition of related real estate assets.
- Represented developer throughout the purchase, development, and $90 million construction financing of an affordable residential project consisting of a 398-unit condominium and retail development in the City of Miami.
- Represented West LB in a corporate and real estate loan in the aggregate amount of $59 million to a world renown hotel company and its affiliates secured in part by a mortgage on a five star hotel located in Brazil.
- Florida Trend Magazine, Florida Legal Elite, 2007 - 2012
- Member, Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section, Florida Bar
- Member, Real Property Section, American Bar Association
- Member, Real Property Committee, Dade County Bar Association
- Junior Achivement of Miami, Former Chairman of the Board and Executive Committee Member, Member of Board of Directors
- Member, Young Leaders Society, United Way
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Miami, Class of 2001
- Adjunct Professor, University of Miami Law School, Real Property Development L.L.M. Program