Ed Soto practices in the area of commercial real estate, commercial lending and transactional matters. He has substantial experience in all aspects of real estate-secured and asset-based loans, including construction loans, permanent financing, public-private financing, and borrowing base financing. He has substantial experience in representing both lead and participant lenders in syndicated transactions and other co-lending arrangements. He also regularly represents developers and investors in the purchase, sale and development of real property.
Ed is a problem solver who seeks practical solutions to reach his clients’ goals. He works closely with the firm’s land use and zoning team to address all matters that may arise during the development process. Ed also advises clients in structuring transactions to minimize federal, state, and local tax liability.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Cuban American Bar Association (CABA), 2006-present
- Executive Director, South Florida Association of Financial Professionals, 2019
- Member, South Florida Executive Roundtable, 2019-present
- Dade County Bar Association, Real Property Committee, 2006-present
- The Florida Bar, Real Property, Probate and Tax Sections, 2002-present
Awards & Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America®, Real Estate Law, 2021-present
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings: AV Preeminent
- Daily Business Review, Dealmaker, 2008
- Represented lender with respect to real estate financing secured by 45 South Florida gas stations. Advised on the extension of new credit facilities, the refinancing of existing credit facilities, and the purchase of existing notes and mortgages to minimize transaction costs.
- Represented lender with respect to financing the simultaneous acquisition of over 30 gas stations from ExxonMobil in a transaction valued at over $55 million.
- Represented client in the $25 million purchase of vacant land in Central Florida.
- Advised local university in a $44 million bond refinancing secured by University property.
- Represented lead lender with respect to real estate construction financing secured by a ground lease for the construction of a luxury apartment building, including mezzanine financing and multiple participant lenders.
- Represented a local non-profit corporation with respect to construction financing and ground lease to a charter school, together with the subsequent refinancing to permanent tax-exempt financing, the issuance of tax exempt bonds, and New Market Tax Credits.
- Continuing representation of prominent South Florida developer in the acquisition, sale and financing of real property.