Chad S. Friedman
Chad focuses his practice on representing developers and governmental entities in the areas of land use and zoning. He is also a leading legal expert in the field of Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) programs.
Chad has extensive experience representing local governments in the drafting, adoption, and implementation of land development regulations, including green regulations. In addition, he has significant experience representing local governments in comprehensive plan amendment and quasi judicial hearings (i.e. variances, site plans, rezoning, and special exceptions). Chad has also successfully defended various governmental entities, such as the Village of Key Biscayne and Town of Cutler Bay, in land use related litigation. Chad is also the assistant Town attorney for the Town of Cutler Bay and the assistant Village attorney for the Village of Pinecrest.
Given Chad’s unique local government experience, he has been successful in helping developers and private property owners navigate through the intricacies of the development review process. Over the years, he has assisted numerous private clients in securing the necessary development permits and other approvals required for the development of property.
In addition to Chad’s land use and zoning practice, he is a leading legal expert in the creation of PACE programs pursuant to Section 163.08, Florida Statutes. Chad helped to create the Green Corridor PACE District, which was one of the first PACE programs established within the State of Florida. He currently is legal counsel to the Green Corridor PACE District and is also assisting private entities in the creation of other PACE programs across the State of Florida.
Chad, a frequent author and speaker on the subject of growth management and local government law, is currently the Co-Chair for the Environmental and Land Use Committee of the Dade County Bar.
- "Update on PACE: Litigation, Legislation, and New Initiatives," Smart Growth and Green Buildings Committee Newsletter, August 2013
- "Update on PACE One Year Later: Litigation, Legislation, and New Initiatives," The Environmental and Land Use Law Section Reporter, December 2012
- "Update on PACE One Year Later: Litigation, Legislation, and New Initiatives," The Environmental and Land Use Law Section Reporter, September 2011
- “HB 7179 Keeps PACE with Green Initiatives,” Florida Real Estate Journal, June 2010
- “Senate Bill 360: The Impact of the 2007 Legislative Session on Local Government Growth Management, Part II,” The Florida Bar Journal, Volume 81, Number 11, 2007
- “Senate Bill 360: The Impact of the 2007 Legislative Session on Local Government Growth Management, Part I,” The Florida Bar Journal, Volume 81, Number 10, 2007
- “Senate Bill 360: Growth Management Reform Arrives and It is All About Infrastructure,” The Florida Bar Journal, Volume 79, Number 9, 2005
- "Florida Rising Star," Florida SuperLawyers, 2009-present
- Attorneys’ Title Insurance Fund Award for Excellence in Land Use Planning
- William F. Blews Pro Bono Service Award
- Dade County Bar Association Section,
Co-Chair Environmental and Land Use
- Dade County Bar Association
Young Lawyers Section
- Jackson Health System General Obligations Bond Citizens' Advisory Committee
- "Water, Energy, and Climate Change," CLE International 2010
- "For and Function Both Important to Zoning Codes," Florida American Planning Conference, 2007
- "Bayfront redevelopment brightens Grove's tourism picture" Miami Today 2/18/16
- "Insiders detail upward trend in Grove's residential market" Miami Today 2/10/16
- "Custom Home Projects Face Obstacles From Historic Preservation" South Florida Business Journal 9/11/15
- "Cutler Bay Wins Legal Battle to Build Publix in Town Center" Miami Herald 9/8/15
- "Cutler Bay Shopping Center Outmaneured by Publix" Daily Business Review 9/8/15
- "Future of Golf Courses Relies on Cities Shooting for 'PAR'," Daily Business Review 9/12/14
- "Pinecrest Hires New Village Attorney," Miami Herald, 9/5/13
- "New Partners 2012-2013," Daily Business Review, 3/11/13
- "Program Will Help Homeowners Pay for Energy Efficiency," Miami Herald, 10/8/11
- "News and Notes," The Florida Bar News, 7/15/11
- "People on the Move," South Florida Business Journal, 7/1/11