As a former in-house municipal planning attorney, Alex Uribe’s understanding of local regulations informs his current work for private clients in land use, zoning, and development matters. He also represents local governments in a retained counsel capacity.
Prior to joining the firm, Alex worked at the City of Miami’s Planning and Zoning Department where he handled legal issues for the Office of Zoning, including covenants, affordable housing issues, impact fees and alcoholic beverage licensing.
Alex’s prior municipal experiences includes:
- Investigating possible vested rights for existing non-conforming buildings and non-conforming uses;
- Reviewing and processing documents related to the development of real property and streamlining and unifying the process for legal instrument approval;
- Administering the City of Miami’s developmental impact fees, overseeing challenges to the City’s impact fee ordinance, along with petitions for determination in connection with re-development and deferral of fees for affordable housing, and creating the City of Miami’s zoning forms, procedures and requirements with respect to impact fees;
- Administering the City of Miami’s complex alcoholic beverage ordinance, reviewing all alcoholic beverage service establishment applications, and determining compliance with the ordinance. As the Planning and Zoning Department’s alcohol sales spokesman and lecturer, Alex provided guidance with regard to time, place, and manner regulations affecting alcoholic beverage sales.
Alex also previously served as a legal clerk for the City of Miami City Attorney’s Office, where he worked in the litigation division defending the City against complex and personal injury suits.
Before attending law school, Alex worked in political campaigning and strategy at the local level.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Cuban American Bar Association, 2018-present
- Dade County Bar Association, 2015-present
- The Florida Bar, City, County & Local Government Law; Environmental & Land Use Law; Young Lawyers, 2013-present
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity, 2011-present
Awards & Recognition
- Best Lawyers in America® – Ones to Watch: Land Use and Zoning Law, 2023