Marlon A. Hill represents businesses, entrepreneurs and local and international governments in corporate, intellectual property, and government matters.
In addition to serving as outside general counsel to several companies, Marlon advises business owners on all aspects of starting and structuring their businesses and not-for-profit organizations, from drafting contracts and agreements to securing intellectual property, especially across the tourism, hospitality, and media and entertainment industries. Helping his clients grow and scale their companies, he counsels on corporate governance and strategic development. Marlon is also experienced in mergers, acquisitions, and reorganizations.
For international entrepreneurs, Marlon manages the filing of business immigration visa petitions for investor entrepreneurs (EB-5), specialty occupation professionals (H1-B), intra-company transferees (L-1A), and entertainers, artists, and media talent (P/O).
Born in Kingston, Jamaica, Marlon has served as a civic leader in a number of roles across South Florida, especially with African-American and Caribbean-American communities. He has been featured as one of the “outstanding members of the emerging generation of South Florida business and professional leaders” by the Daily Business Review. He is also a past recipient of numerous awards, including the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce Bill Colson Leadership Award, M. Athalie Range Foundation Bridge Builder Award, and the inaugural Miami Foundation Ruth Shack Community Leadership Award.
Marlon currently serves as a board member of the Miami Parking Authority, Kozyak Minority Foundation, and BMe Community. He recently served as a member of the board of directors for The Miami Foundation, Miami Book Fair International, and the Orange Bowl Committee, and is a past president of the Caribbean Bar Association. He is also one of the Inaugural Fellows in the Miami Foundation’s Miami Fellows Initiative, a signature local leadership development program. Marlon keeps the community engaged through his weekly civic commentary, “The People’s Politics”, on Caribbean Riddims, WNMA 1210AM, every Saturday at 4 p.m., has penned op-ed articles in the Miami Herald and Sun-Sentinel covering issues of civic interest, legal concern, and social or cultural impact, and has made recurring contributions to WPLG Local 10’s “This Week in South Florida” Roundtable.
Beyond his law practice, Marlon occasionally serves as MC/DJ host for local bar associations and special events in South Florida and as a host of countless weddings for colleagues in and out of the profession. He also volunteers in the Emmaus Ministry of St. Louis Catholic Church.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Miami-Dade County, Office of New Americans Task Force, 2021-present
- Miami Dade County Charter Review Task Force, District 9 Appointee, 2017-2018
- Miami Parking Authority, Board member, 2003-present
- Orange Bowl Committee, Active Member and Board of Directors, 2009-present
- Miami Book Fair International, Advisory Board member, 2013-present
- Florida Caribbean Student Association, Advisor, 1995-present
- The Miami Foundation, Board of Trustees, 2010-2016
- Florida Bar (Entertainment, Arts & Sports and Business Law Sections)
- Wilkie D. Ferguson, Jr. Bar Association
- Florida Association of Volunteer Action for Caribbean and Americas (FAVACA), Board member
- Kappa Alpha Psi Richmond-Perrine Alumni Chapter
- Caribbean Bar Association, President, 2001-2003
- Jay Malina International Trade Consortium, (Past) Board member
- Jamaican Diaspora Advisory Board Member, Southern United States, 2006-2011
Awards & Recognition
- Unique CAHM & CULTURE Award, June 2022
- Florida Panthers, 28 Days of Black Excellence Award, 2022
- Caribbean Media Exchange #CMEx Leadership Award, 2019
- Wilkie D. Ferguson, Jr. Bar Association, Community Champion Award, 2018
- Florida Super Lawyer, Law & Politics, 2015-2018
- Catholic Legal Services, New Americans Award for Pro-Bono Service, 2016
- American Friends of Jamaica, Vanguard Leadership Award for Service, 2016
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce, Bill Colson Leadership Award, 2016
- Caribbean Bar Association, President’s Award for Service, 2013
- Athalie Range Foundation, Bridge Builder Award, 2012
- Thurgood Marshall Scholarship Fund, Young Leader Award, 2010
- Leave A Legacy/Miami Foundation, Ruth Shack Community Leadership Award, 2010
- Miami Herald Top 20 Under 40 Business Leaders, 2010
- ICABA Most Accomplished Blacks in Law, 2009
- SUCCESS South Florida Magazine, 50 Most Influential Black Professionals, 2005
- Miami Herald’s Black History Profiles, 2002
- Daily Business Review’s “Leaders 2000 – Faces to Watch” Issue Miami Foundation’s Miami Fellows Initiative, 1999-2001
- National Philanthropy Day Outstanding Young Leader Award, 2000
- United Way Essie Silva Community Builder Award, 1999