A litigator who has handled over 80 jury trials and appeals involving land disputes throughout Florida, Mitch Burnstein is one of the state’s most influential lawyers in property rights lawsuits involving eminent domain, inverse condemnation and constitutional takings.
Mitch has served as lead counsel in hundreds of condemnation matters across Florida on behalf of public sector clients, private property owners, businesses and utilities. His condemnation experience covers a wide range of governmental purposes, including transportation, right of way creation, and roadway expansion; construction of schools, libraries, civic centers, jails, public works, utilities, and electrical facilities; community redevelopment; affordable housing; environmental protection; drainage; watershed; and recreation. He has litigated all categories of damage claims (value of property taken, severance damages, business damages, cost to cure, apportionment, federal and state relocation benefits, trade fixtures, attorney’s fees, expert’s fees, and litigation costs) involving a broad range of property interests (fee, tenancy, easement, concession, and restrictive covenants).
Mitch previously served as a lead prosecutor in the Broward State Attorney’s Office and as a senior litigator in the Florida Attorney General’s Office. He has been called upon to serve as an expert witness in property matters.
Professional & Community Involvement
- The Florida Bar, Eminent Domain Committee, 1993-present
- The Florida Bar, Trial Lawyers Section, Executive Council, 2019-present
- Stephen R. Booher American Inns of Court, Barrister, 1994-present
- Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance, 2018-present
- TeamFL Transportation and Expressway Authority, 2019-present
Awards and Recognitions
- Best Lawyers in America®, Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law, 2022
- Fort Lauderdale Illustrated, “Top Lawyer,” 2020-present
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2016-present
- Florida Trend’s Legal Elite, 2013-present
- South Florida Legal Guide, 2017-present
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating
- South Florida Business Journal, Power Leaders in Law & Accounting, 2016-2017
- South Florida Top Rated Lawyers, Top Rated Lawyer, Banking & Finance, 2012
- South Florida Business Journal, Leading Lawyers, 2011-2012