Pete Waldman represents private property owners and businesses in eminent domain, inverse condemnation, and real property valuation litigation, as well as the development, implementation, and execution of capital improvement programs and projects.
Pete is a former Assistant General Counsel for the Florida Department of Transportation. In that role, he litigated multi-million dollar damage cases, served as lead counsel in a variety of jury trials, bench trials, and mediations, and collaborated with Department officials, committees, and staff on all aspects of property acquisition. Pete gained an overall perspective of the policies and procedures surrounding property acquisition and its related components of valuation, engineering, land planning, business damages, relocation and marketing.
Now, Pete represents private property owners and businesses in all aspects of eminent domain, pre-suit property acquisition and real property litigation. He handles property acquisition matters initiated by the state, federal, local and regional governments. Pete also represents governmental entities and utilities in eminent domain, property acquisition, project design and engineering matters, and has assisted municipalities with the development of right of way programs.
Pete has a Masters degree in Urban and Regional Planning and uses his planning expertise in litigating land use and real property cases on behalf of both private sector and public sector clients.
Prior to becoming an attorney, Pete served four years in the United States Marine Corps.
Professional & Community Involvement
- The Florida Bar, Eminent Domain Committee, 2014-present
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce Transportation and Infrastructure Committee, 2014-present
Awards & Recognition
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2017-present
- Easing into Easements, AEDP, September 2018
- The Golden Road To Advancing Transportation Infrastructure, LAP, August 2018
- Prepare Your Leases for Eminent Domain, Florida Real Estate Journal, April 2010
- The Perils of Eminent Domain, National Association of Convenience Stores, June 2010
- State Dept. of Transportation v. Suit City of Aventura, 774 So. 2d 9 (Fla. 3d DCA 2001).
- Homestead Land Group, LLC v. City of Homestead, etc., and First Baptist Church of Perrine Inc., 165 So.3d 62 (Fla. 3d DCA 2015).