Candice Balmori represents municipalities on a broad range of issues, including counseling on public/private partnerships, public finance, procurement, utilities, land use and zoning, and compliance with public records, sunshine and ethics laws. Candice also assists with drafting government contracts and in developing litigation strategies in matters ranging from commercial contract disputes to federal civil rights claims.
As a Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator, Candice is formally trained with an alternate dispute resolution skill set that she effectively applies to her practice.
Prior to joining the Firm, Candice practiced at a boutique law firm in South Florida where she focused on commercial litigation matters, such as contract disputes, shareholder and partnership disputes, landlord-tenant disputes, and real estate disputes. She also handled a variety of corporate-related matters and probate matters.
While in law school, Candice was a legal intern for the Honorable Shelby Highsmith of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida and served as a student attorney with Tulane University Law School’s Juvenile Litigation Clinic, arguing before the Louisiana Supreme Court in support of a juvenile’s constitutional right to a trial by jury. See In re State ex rel. A.J., 27 So.3d 247 (La. 2009).
Candice was born and raised in South Florida.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Cuban American Bar Association, Director, 2018 – present; Member, 2013 – present
- Legal Services of Greater Miami, Board Member, 2019 – present
- The Florida Bar Business Law Section, Member, 2015 – present; Diversity Fellow, 2015-2017
- Dade County Bar Association, Member, 2013 – present
- Leadership Miami, Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce (Class XXXV), 2013 – 2014
- Harvard Clubs of Miami and Broward County, Member, 2010 – present
Awards & Recognition
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2021
- “Board Member of the Year,” Cuban American Bar Association, 2020
- “Member of the Year,” Cuban American Bar Association, 2013
- Moderator, “The New Plaza Civica in Cuba: The Role of Social Media and Digital Platforms,” Cuban American Bar Association, June 2020
- Moderator, “Cuban Asylum Applicants: A Look at U.S. Immigration Law & Policy,” Cuban American Bar Association, March 2020
- Moderator, “The Nexus Between Regimes: Cuba, Venezuela & Nicaragua,” Cuban American Bar Association, November 2019
- Moderator, “Title III of the Helms Burton Act: A Look at the Recently Lifted Suspension on Remedies for Claims of Trafficking in Confiscated Property,” Cuban American Bar Association, June 2019
- Moderator, “The International Trade of Cuban Medical Professionals: A Human Rights Perspective,” Cuban American Bar Association, May 2019
- Moderator, “The Cuban Constitution: Past, Present, and Future,” Cuban American Bar Association, February 2019
- Moderator, “Resolution of Claims Between the U.S. and Cuba,” CABA on Cuba Conference, Cuban American Bar Association, September 2016
- Moderator, Women’s History Month Conference, Weiss Serota Helfman Cole + Bierman, March 2021
- “Patria y Vida: A Chorus of Free Expression for Cubans”, Daily Business Review, August 16, 2021
- “A Suggestion for Advocacy During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” Winter/Spring 2020, CABA Briefs
- “Como Conocer a un Pueblo: Exploring Archival Collections,” Summer/Fall 2019, CABA Briefs
- “A Seat at the CABA on Cuba Committee’s Conference Room Table,” Winter/Spring 2019, CABA Briefs
- “Cuba’s 2018 Presidential Election: Introducing the New Face of the Old Regime,” Summer/Fall 2018, CABA Briefs
- “A Profile in Public Service: Congresswoman Ileana Ros-Lehtinen,” Summer/Fall 2017, CABA Briefs
- “La Jicara: An Artifact of Fidel Castro’s Legacy,” Winter 2017, CABA Briefs
- “Making Waves in U.S.-Cuba Business Endeavors,” Summer 2016, CABA Briefs
- “The Intersection of Law and Religion in Cuba: A Prayer for Free Exercise,” Winter 2016, CABA Briefs
- “Newly Paved Foreign Investment Avenues in Cuba: Potholes and Pitfalls,” Spring/Summer 2015, CABA Briefs
- “Social Media: The New Plaza Civica,” Fall/Winter 2014, CABA Briefs
- Mirzataheri v. FM East Developers, LLC, 193 So. 3d 19 (Fla. 3rd DCA 2016