Mitchell A. Bierman
Mitch Bierman handles government affairs and administrative law matters for major international companies in the transportation, environmental and solid waste, and engineering and construction industries. His work includes winning and negotiating large public contracts, public private partnerships, public infrastructure improvements and affordable housing developments as well as advocating for industry clients on legislative issues affecting their industries.
Mitch's skills and relationships were developed during his government career in which he served as Assistant Dade County Attorney from 1990 to 1996. He continues to serve government as the current Town Attorney for the Town of Cutler Bay and the Village Attorney for the Village of Pinecrest in Miami-Dade County, and he provides key expertise to many of the firm’s other government clients on particular matters.
Mitch chairs our Airports and Aviation Services Group which is a special practice in airport law representing airports and airport-related business including airlines, cargo carriers, car rental companies, airport concessionaires, consultants and construction and engineering firms. Prior to joining us, Mitch was counsel to Miami International Airport and he has nearly 20 years of experience in airport finance, airline negotiations, airport concessions, and land leasing and development.
Mitch has helped numerous concessionaires win major airport concessions around the United States and has negotiated airline-airport use agreements, rental car facility agreements, fuel system lease agreements, management agreements, rental car lease and concession agreements, and other ground transportation agreements. He has also assisted airports in their non-aviation development deals, expansions, construction projects, labor agreements and First Amendment issues.
- Successfully represented Skanska Construction in court challenge by disappointed bidder to award of $90 million public hospital construction contract.
- Defended award of $60 million airport construction contract to Skanska Construction against bid protest challenge by disappointed bidder.
- Representation of one of the world’s largest rail car manufacturer in negotiation of $400 million railcar refurbishment project.
- Representation of Cubic Transportation Systems in connection with regional transportation authority request for proposals to provide smart cart program for region and constituent local transit authorities.
- Successfully represented Faber Coe & Greg in obtaining news and gift and specialty retail concession with projected sales in excess of $80 million at major international airport and defended award in challenge by disappointed bidder.
- Represented Areas Comidas, a major international airport food and beverage concessionaire in award of numerous airport concession worth in excess of $500 million.
- Represented Allied Waste Systems in obtaining and negotiating $25 million contract for disposal of USDA regulated international airport waste and successfully defended bid protest challenge by disappointed bidder.
- Represented world’s largest car rental company in negotiation of its lease and concession agreement for consolidated car rental facility at two large international airport.
- Provided legal and government affairs support in acquisition of duty free concession at one of country’s fasted growing airports for Nuance Global Traders, the world’s largest airport duty free concessionaire.
- Represented international cargo shipping company in attempts to gain access for its cargo handling subsidiary at large U.S. port.
- Assisted national environmental engineer in renewal of bond engineering consulting agreement for large government solid waste department.
- Assisted vendor of tax deferred employee benefits provider in obtaining contract to provide benefits to facility, staff and administrators of country’s fourth largest public school system.
- Represented one of the nation’s larges debris removal and environmental remediation firms on major FEMA funded canal dredging program.
- Favorably settled environmental cost recovery claim against Fortune 100 company as part of a multi-defendant, $700 million cost recovery lawsuit brought by owner of major public airport against all historical airport users and tenants.
- AV Rated
- “Most Effective Lawyer,″ South Florida Daily Business Review, 2008
- “Top Lawyer,” South Florida Legal Guide, 2004 - 2011, 2013-present
- “Legal Elite,” Florida Trend 2005 - 2011
- “Best of the Bar,” South Florida Business Journal
- "Best Lawyers," 2012
- "Best Lawyers in America," 2012-2013
- Founding Member
Eugene P. Spellman Chapter of the American Inns of Court
Florida Bar Grievance Committee
- New Works Council, Miami Light Project
- Chair, Government Relations Committee
Miami Art Museum, Board of Trustees
- Past Chairman, Attorneys’ Division
Greater Miami Jewish Federation
- Law Review: New York University Review of Law and Social Change, Note and Comment Editor, 1988 - 1989
- Miami Foundation Board of Governors
- "2014 Top Lawyers," South Florida Legal Guide, 1/1/14
- "Pinecrest Hires New Village Attorney," Miami Herald, 9/5/13
- "2012 Top Lawyers," South Florida Legal Guide, 2/1/12
- "Nationally-Recognized Charter School Hopes to Open in Cutler Bay," Miami Herald, 12/15/11
- "Cutler Bay On Track for New High School," Miami Herald, 9/23/11
- "Miami's Most Effective Lawyers," Miami Daily Business Review, 2008