Alen Hsu represents startups, multinational businesses and publicly traded companies with respect to domestic and international legal issues. A problem solver and dealmaker, Alen provides strategic guidance to international investors and companies regarding business and real estate matters in the U.S. and abroad, including preparing and negotiating corporate, real estate and commercial contracts. Alen serves as outside general counsel to a number of businesses and advises clients on corporate governance, labor and employment, financing, and acquisitions and sales. He also handles litigation involving business transactions, shareholder disputes, labor and employment, non-competition agreements, real estate, construction, landlord-tenant issues, products liability, class action defense, and bankruptcy and creditors’ rights.
Strategic thinking and sophisticated research have been the keys to Alen’s success handling multimillion dollar lawsuits, appeals and arbitrations on matters arising under the False Claims Act, Sherman Act, Lanham Act, Fair Labor Standards Act, American with Disabilities Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, Fair Debt Collections Practices Act and Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
Alen has been recognized for his exceptional legal work and involvement in the South Florida community. In 2016, he received the Legal Advisor of the Year Award from Sterling 5, Inc. for his strategic counseling of start-ups and small to mid-sized businesses. In 2016, Alen was selected to join a select group of attorneys to participate in The Florida Bar Leadership Academy. The following year, Alen was selected to serve on the committee of The Florida Bar Journal and The Florida Bar News Editorial Board, and currently serves on the executive committee. In 2019, he was elected Vice President of Membership of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, which represents the interests of 50,000 attorneys and more than 80 national, state, and local Asian Pacific American bar associations.
Alen is proficient in spoken Mandarin-Chinese and Taiwanese.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Florida Bar Leadership Academy, Class IV, 2016-2017
- Florida Bar Journal and Florida Bar News Editorial Board, 2017-present; Committee Member, July 2017-July 2018; Executive Committee Member, July 2018-present
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, 2012-present; Vice President of Membership, 2018-2019; Alternate Southeast Regional Governor, 2016-2018
- Asian Pacific American Bar Association of South Florida, 2008-present; President, 2015-2016; President-Elect, 2014-2015; Vice President of Membership, 2012-2014
- North Springs Improvement District, 2016-present; Board of Supervisors, 2016-present
- National Filipino American Bar Association, 2018-present
- Caribbean Bar Association, 2016-present
- Broward County Bar Association, 2016-present
- Federal Bar Association, 2016-present
- Chairman, Operation120, Inc., 2020-present
Awards & Recognition
- Daily Business Review, On the Rise Honoree, 2020
- Florida Super Lawyers, Rising Star in Business Litigation, 2016-present
- Sterling 5, Legal Advisor of the Year, 2016
- Courts Dial Back Autodialer Definition Following ACA International, The Legal Intelligencer, July 23, 2018
- Fla. Appeals Court Resets Clock on Successive Foreclosures, Law360, April 20, 2016
- Successfully defended owner of multimillion dollar condominium against claims of fraudulent inducement in which plaintiff sought $6 million in damages.
- Successfully represented co-owner of international energy drink company seeking corporate dissolution under Florida’s Business Corporations Act.
- Successfully defended homeowner against claims of fraud, violations of Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, and breach of contract, in which plaintiff sought more than $3 million in damages.
- Successfully defended physician against medical practice group’s claim for breach of a non-compete agreement.
- Successfully represented homeowner in construction defect matter that resulted in a half million dollar award to homeowner, along with an award of fees and costs.
- Successfully represented commercial property manager in landlord-tenant action against a tenant/corporation’s individual directors.
- Successfully defended aviation company against claims for breach of contract and injunctive relief.
- Successfully defended international beverage company against claims under Florida’s Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act and for misappropriation of trade secrets and injunctive relief.
- Successfully defended large financial institution in federal qui tam whistleblower lawsuit.
- Successfully defended creditor in bankruptcy adversarial proceeding in which the trustee sought in excess of $12 million in purported fraudulent transfers.
- Successfully defended health insurance company in antitrust matter in which plaintiffs sought in excess of $300 million in damages.
- Successfully defended healthcare financial company against claims of fraud, civil conspiracy, and Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act violations, in which plaintiff sought more than $15 million in damages.
- Successfully defended pharmaceutical marketing company against a putative class action arising under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act; negotiated favorable settlement on behalf of client.
- Represented marketing company against three putative class actions involving claims under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act and Illinois and Michigan Consumer Protection Acts, as well as breach of contract, unjust enrichment and common law fraud,.
- Represented international yacht company against claims of common law fraud, Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act violations, Magnusson-Moss Act violations, and breach of warranty.
- Represented multi-million dollar construction company in the negotiation of a closeout agreement with self-storage company and publicly traded real estate investment trust.
- Represented beverage insulator company in the preparation and negotiation of documents for the sale of its business, real estate, and intellectual property.
- Represented borrower in negotiation of loan documents for a $36 million mezzanine loan for the development and completion of a condominium.
- Represented multi-million dollar real estate development company in negotiating and handling of commercial lease and construction matters.
- Represented multinational automotive parts business with preparation of international sale of goods contracts, UCC sale of goods contracts, licensing agreements, employee handbooks, non-competes, and non-disclosure agreements.